The PhD in New Media program is a full-time multi-disciplinary PhD program that typically requires 4 years to complete the degree. Each student is affiliated within NTU. IMI program hosts/admits PhD students who intend to do research on Media and Technology domain essentially with a multi-disciplinary approach.
According to the requirements of the Interdisciplinary Graduate School Scholarship (IGS)
, the first 18-24 months may consist of coursework, written comprehensive examination and a confirmation examination. Upon successful completion of the required coursework and examinations, students are advanced to PhD candidacy.
The student should have a supervisor AND a co-supervisor. The co-supervisor should be from IMI and should be an active person, both should supervise the work, and joint publications are expected. The student should be open to interdisciplinary work and be open to extend his or her topic.
Students are expected to conduct their own research, prepare and present their dissertation proposals to the faculty and students. The formal PhD dissertation is examined by both internal and external examiners. Finally, students will defend their work in an oral examination. Upon successful completion of these stages, students will be conferred the Doctor of Philosophy degree by Nanyang Technological University under the Nanyang PhD program.
Typical applicant should be :
- intellectually curious in multidisciplinary approach
- wishes to work with our faculty's field experts
- interested in an academic career in teaching and research
- keen to engage in research on a university or institution level
- possess an international orientation to research work
The multi-disciplinary PhD program in IMI offers an intellectually engaging and rewarding PhD education, with the following distinctive features:
- World-class Research Institute in Asia
- Highly talented faculty for PhD supervision
- Student-faculty ratio ensures close interaction and supervision
- Strong research orientation
- Internationally compatible financial support from IMI through financial aid and grants
- Only school in Singapore with multidisciplinary approach to research